Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%?

Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%? 3 years 1 month ago #2782

• rafabaer
  • New Aphantasiac
Hey,
my father and all his sisters (they where 11) do have Aphantasia - I have it my brother has it - so may it be inheritable???
Now funny is that our family name is "BLIND" :-)

Now what is really strange - my girlfriend has it as well!
AND the wife of my brother ASWELL !!!

We just realized that yesterday when we sat together on a birthday party - so 6 out of 9 people on the table had Aphantasia!!!
So I wonder whether the 2-3% is really adaquate. Maybe it´s much more common the people just don´t realize that the others do have inner images.
My girlfriedn (37) just found out yesterday that she is seeing differently (or not seeing) then others.

What do you think - did you start asking around at friends and really just find 2-3% or much more?

Greetings from Germany

Rafael (Blind)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%? 3 years 1 month ago #2784

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 35
This thread has a similar question and a poll you might find interesting: aphant.asia/forum/crowd-research/123-how...know-have-aphantasia

I'm the only person I know of with aphantasia in real life. Online I've found about 5 other people I know with it so far (excluding people on this forum obviously). I'm really not sure how many people have aphantasia. I do think it's quite likely that the 2-3% estimate is wrong though, as I think they'd need a lot more information to gather a true percentage.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Velvet.

Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%? 3 years 1 month ago #2787

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 32
We will probably not be able to settle on an "accurate" percentage until a study is done with adequate sample size. However, I have only found 1 or 2 others in my life who may be aphants.

Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%? 3 years 3 weeks ago #2926

• Rhino
  • New Aphantasiac
well i lived 41 years without knowing i had it.. so no telling how many others just think like i did that everyone works like them.

Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%? 3 years 1 week ago #3132

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
Everyone I know (except me) visualizes. :( Boyfriend is unconfirmed, he dosn't like having to explain things to me so I don't know if he's a yes or no or a sort of. :P Initially he said "yes".
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~

Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%? 2 years 11 months ago #3640

• Mathonwyn
  • New Aphantasiac
Just found the name to this thing and I honestly don't know why it shocks those of us effected to discover you're effected

But anyway my 2 pennies worth on it all. I've done a lot of research over the years into self development improvement and therapies and it was very obvious that I didn't fit the mould.

Approximately 95-99% of people in wester cultures are very visual orientated. Systems like NLP and standard guided meditations work wonders for them and the usual question of what colour is your front door generates that image of the door.

I've always been a constructive mental person I build from emotions and understanding of principles to discribe and recall.

Visual is the largest group but I believe audio and smell come next in the scheme of things building on those powerful senses to recall the world and process in a different way.

I do not however remember any reference to how eastern, Arabic, African or native cultures (native Americans and the aboriginals or Maori) fair.

Do much MORE people have Aphantasia then the 2-3%? 2 years 11 months ago #3743

• firemonkey
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
Of my 50 odd facebook friends only one has suggested they have aphantasia. Have posted about it on several mental health forums I go on. Only one person on them has said she has difficulty visualising images. She suffers from ptsd and I think her aphantasia might be a psychological defence mechanism rather than congenital.
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds