Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "Take it for granted" Rant

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 5 months ago #2246

• Caldonia.Frank
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
The phrase "you know we take it for granted" from people without aphantasia (just in news stories or whatever) kind of annoys me just because it implies that being able to visualize is so great and almost makes the people who can't really strange. It feels like a way of saying "oh I couldn't possibly live the way you do, that's horrible, you poor people". I mean, I definitely understand why they're saying it, and I could be fairly sensitive about it, but I feel like it could be worded much better (such as "oh, I can't imagine what that's like" or something about comparisons or what not). What do you guys think? Does it carry that connotation or not?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 5 months ago #2277

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 35
I think visualisers are just so shocked that some people can't visualise they're not really sure what to say about it. To someone who relies on visual images it must seem awful that we can't visualise because they can't imagine being able to function or imagine without images.
A few people I've talked to about aphantasia have said things like "I love to read and write and draw but I can only do those things because I can visualise. If I couldn't visualise I wouldn't be able to do anything I loved", yet I also do all those things and manage them just fine.
It's down to a basic lack of understanding. It's very hard to understand something you've never experienced. A lot of news sites tend to go for the shock value in their stories as well, so the media is likely to overplay it.

Personally, I can't imagine how they function WITH images. :P I'd say I took my narrative thought process for granted before I found out about aphantasia.
It works so well I never realised I was different. I've even done those 'picture yourself on a beach' type meditation exercises with friends and managed them just fine not realising I was doing it differently to everyone else.
I write stories in my head for each memory and description. Words are a beautiful thing. I almost feel sorry for the people replacing those words with images. Sure images are great and all, but I love my words. If I suddenly started picturing images and my need to describe things in my mind diminished, I'd miss it.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldonia.Frank

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 4 months ago #2356

• Patty9usa
  • New Aphantasiac
I feel exactly the same way, Velvet. I've known for a very long time that I couldn't see images in my "head" but also use words instead.of images and have also done the "beach meditation" activities but didn't realize that others could literally see the images. Thus wasn't something that just came up in causal conversations in my life (before now, when I'm asking friends and relatives about it...). Lol. But I'm not sure that I'd change it, even if I could.... I'll write in another post but I'm realizing that, in addition to not being able to see things that I'd want to see, I also don't "see" or re-live things that I don't want to (such as bad accidents, etc.).
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Patty9usa. Reason: wasn't finished...

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 3 months ago #2460

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
Yea, I can create, but I don't see my end product in my head before I finish it. Even if I did, I doubt I'd have the skill to replicate it. My control isn't great. (I used to draw alot, I could draw for hours, I wonder if that's because I didn't know how it'd end for sure and only had a concept rather than a for sure goal.) I also do polymer clay stuff and sewing stuff sometimes (but with sewing I use existing patterns or try to modify patterns little by little to get what I want, generally simple plush type stuff).

I find I'm constantly getting scolded for using too many words/too many details in conversation? Anyone else? I tend to over-explain my reasoning and thought process by default? (Like for example telling a story, I tend to tell lead in stories and various factors...) When people tell me to be brief and just leave in the key items... I struggle to edit anything out... Not sure if that's the potential asperger's or the potential aphantasia, or just me being self conscious and prone to being misunderstood.
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by CanISee.

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 2 months ago #2713

• Raven
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 13
"Oh, I can't imagine what that's like."

This quote is especially ironic considering it is a literal paradox, you can't physically use images to imagine not having images in your head! :lol:
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robson, Garth

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 4 weeks ago #2842

• Garth
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
Anyone else have people try to 'fix' you?

They try to guide you through a simple visualization exercise, and you finally say, "You don't get it. It's not that I have faint or poor images. It's that I don't have that concept AT ALL. I don't have the faintest idea how to even begin doing what you're asking me to do."

"I close my eyes and I see black. That's it."

At that point they often become annoyed. Or pitying.

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 3 weeks ago #2907

• Ethel B
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 16
My favorite is the friends and family who just don't believe me. "Well, you couldn't draw if you can't imagine it!" (I can draw reasonably well.) or even better, "Oh, I'm sure you do, you just don't realize it." hahahaha... It doesn't make me angry, but I do find it amusing that people who can visualize seem to have a barrier to understanding a brain that works without a mind's eye. They cant 'imagine' it. :D

"Take it for granted" Rant 3 years 1 week ago #3131

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
Yep. :/ Plenty of trying to "fix"/doubting/arguing.
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by CanISee.
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds