Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Creative Rant

Creative Rant 3 years 8 months ago #1453

• Aquc
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 28
This section says it is for rants, so onwards I go. Please realise this means statements below will begin at quite harsh before travelling to the simply untrue, and onto the utterly ridiculous, and in no way, shape or form do I actually believe the accusations or want answers to any of the below. If this in any way offends or upsets you, go away. My rant, my rules :P

What on earth is with all of these morons assuming we can't create? I just saw that youtube video where the dimwit presenting it claimed we couldn't mold clay because we couldn't get an image of what we wanted it to look like, and evidently this has hacked me off on a long running nerve point of mine. This particular dingbat seems to think that to achieve anything you need a picture, so now at least we know why all flatpack furniture comes with those terrible diagrams, rather than any useful information. Moreover what does he think is going to happen if you put us in front of clay? Will we just stand there with out best 'rabbit in the headlights' impression? Maybe we'll be so overcome by our lack of a picture we'll break down and cry? Or perhaps the clay itself will resist our movements until we break out a pencil and draw it a guide. Can these idiots really be so small minded that they can't think of anything different? Do they not realise the hypocrisy in them not being able to imagine a way in which we create? Or maybe that isn't it at all, perhaps they just need to feel as if they're nice people so they very kindly offer their condolences to us poor mentally blind wretches. Whatever the reason is I wish these dipsticks would attempt to use their blatantly superior brains before they open their stupidly large mouths. Then again, what can you expect when every book they read is just a picture book...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldonia.Frank, Garth, sian*

Creative Rant 3 years 8 months ago #1454

• bikersurfer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 28
Bottom line, Aquc, is that these folks are ignorant and misunderstanding, and they really ought not to be expounding in such an authoritative manner on something they will likely never experience.

Creative Rant 3 years 8 months ago #1455

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
even thoe who found it dont know it all yet thee people claim to be authorities ut this always happens you get he know it alls preaching

Creative Rant 3 years 8 months ago #1496

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 98
Once again we are seeing people who in theory can apply "theory of mind" to something failing to do so. Their inherent way of doing things is so natural to them, that they cannot step outside their own perceptual and cognitive biases and look at the bigger picture. I'd be interested in a link to that individuals video, because I would certainly relish the chance to correct said individual.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Creative Rant 3 years 2 months ago #2714

• Raven
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 13
Not being understood as being the most difficult part of my life, always being alone in the world.

I feel sorry for people like that who are unable to imagine what other people experience and go through, even though it is different than themselves. For me, I have no difficulty imagining what it is like to it visualise with images, even though I have almost no ability in that area. I can understand the consequences and effects of that without needing to actually do it. It is quite sad that some people never try to imagine the world from a different perspective than their own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garth, elise

Creative Rant 3 years 4 weeks ago #2841

• Garth
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
Preach it, brother!

So many people are apparently incapable of believing the way my mind works. They assume I MUST visualize, I'm either misunderstanding the idea or else I'm lying.

Then they assume that I'm a robot. That I can't create, that I can't appreciate nature, that I can't have an emotional reaction to what I see or read.

Good grief, on Blake Ross' Facebook post (which is what led me here) people actually asked if he was able to LIE!!! Or if he had any ability to empathize with other people!!

What is WRONG with these people?! Do they have to look at a picture of someone before they can care about them?
Last Edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by Garth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sian*, Laurapartera

Creative Rant 3 years 3 weeks ago #2997

• Sophie
  • New Aphantasiac
  • What am I supposed to write here?
  • Thank you received: 10
When I first told my boyfriend about Aphantasia, he acted like I cant remember anything and explained me how everything lookes like in detail when we met one of his friends. I mean, I know how the place looks like, I just dont see a pic in my mind and I have no idea how that person looks alike, but yeah, I can remember stuff.

He also said - as a joke - that I should never become a architect or designer since Im not able to see a pic how something should look like at the end. When I draw, I already know what the result should be, its just based on facts I created.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elise, Night_Lilly222

Creative Rant 3 years 3 weeks ago #3010

• sian*
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 15
Hahaha thank you that was an awesome rant. People have always told me I'm very imaginative, and now I'm like, well, not in the way you think I am. I can draw pretty well from life, and I can sort of draw from memory or mold with clay, though every person I draw/mold seems to have a very similar generic face. I can write books and other people don't notice I'm using pretty sparse visual language. I worked as a draughtsperson (so drawing for architects) for 5 years and was pretty good at it, if I say so myself.

Creative Rant 3 years 3 weeks ago #3035

• Sophie
  • New Aphantasiac
So another thing.
I told my family, that I now know, why I never had a problem with talking about disgusting topics. My sisters (23) reaction was quite... nice?
She told me that I should stop talking about trash like that, that something like Aphantasia isnt a real think, I just want to be special. Then she told me (since I also have injured wrists, cause of overworking, a syndrom wich might cause not being able to have kids, Depressions, a OCD and skoliose, which runs in family), that I should stop being a hypochondriac, even though doctors stated me having these and not the internet, and at the end I wil have all illnesses of the world just to get attention.

Whats quite friendly, cause I could like with being able to touch stuff in public, seeing the face of our dead grand ma in my mind, not having pain after using my hands for to long, having kids at some point in the future and so on.

So she got mad at me, was almost screaming and then just said, we should stop talking, since she dosent want to have an argument... Which she started, but it seems to be my fault telling her whats new in my live after she asked.

Yaiy. Not really.

Creative Rant 3 years 3 weeks ago #3039

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 35
Ah, I'm sorry about your sister's reaction Sophie. It sounds like she might have some issues to work through herself, though of course I don't know your sister.
How did the rest of your family take it?
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings

Creative Rant 3 years 3 weeks ago #3040

• Sophie
  • New Aphantasiac
I told my mom, but Im not quite sure what she is thinking or I dont think that she believes me, but she says that I should do more research and that it might explains, why Im having a hard time studying biology, dunno.

When I would tell my other siblings, they would probably react like my one sister; they are all having a quite good "mind-eye".

On the other hand, my friends and my partner believes me and they dont judge, which is nice :)

Creative Rant 3 years 2 weeks ago #3073

• moemobile
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm all about your rant... My peers at work know that I can't see mental images and are completely perplexed that I am the groups conceptual thinker who can design and manage our complete project management system (with dozens of interacting components) all in my mind without "picturing" it. Words and ideas don't need picture to be thought about. Nuff said.
Shannon
Archaeologist /Adventurer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ethel B, elise

Creative Rant 3 years 1 week ago #3133

• CanISee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Either aphantasia or nearly 0 visualization skill.
  • Thank you received: 12
Sophie wrote:
I told my family, that I now know, why I never had a problem with talking about disgusting topics.

For me in particular I do and always have had issues with talking about disgusting things, I get really grossed out, but I'm not "seeing" it, but I can conceptualize and I don't need to see something to know it's gross or painful etc etc. If I needed to see it surely that would mean more than just my visualization process was struggling. :P
I don't think that's an aphantasia thing myself. Many visualizers I know can quite happily talk about or hear about or see disgusting things and not be effected at all. Meanwhile I can't even handle -words- related to such things. O_O
~*~ Still figuring it all out, I either have aphantasia or weak visualization ability, definitely 0 purposeful visualization. ~*~
~*~ I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD; and potentially some sort of high functioning autism, but that one is unconfirmed. ~*~

Creative Rant 2 years 8 months ago #4433

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
[/quote] It is quite sad that some people never try to imagine the world from a different perspective than their own.[/quote]

Yes, Raven. That is so incredibly true! That can lead to them being somehow unconsciously affronted and puts them on the defensive: in order to keep their own 'world view' intact, they MUST attack 'the other' (as with Sophie) claimig the other is lying, etc. Gives me a whole different perspective of what 'world view' might mean to a person with a mind's eye.... Maybe if I give unliked information to change something in their picture of their world it is like I am slashing a machete through their beautifully protected painting?!

Creative Rant 2 years 8 months ago #4434

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
Yes, Sophie, so sorry for such a family reaction!!! I wish you less pain with the wrist pain (carpal tunnel syndrome). I have that also and from a spine accident, the same in both my feet from a double-crush on the sciatic nerves (those nerve endings go down through the tarsal tunnel in the feet). Daily pain with not much hope for change and depression can often go hand in hand. It is very discouraging when other people add on to this...

À propos family: I got a quite strange reaction from my brother, who apparently ALSO has NO mind's eye: he speculated that all of the senses are to be used directly in real life and that people WITH mind's eye are somehow further evolved and at the end of all of the research they will be the minority, the visionaries, the shamans, the ones who lead us to better life, etc. WOW, that floored me comepletely. I most certainly would not want to be led by most of the people I know with their narrow mind's eye/world view...
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Blackstage.

Creative Rant 2 years 8 months ago #4435

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
Oops, just realized that according to my brother's interpretation, this guy that was mentioned on youtube could be higher evolved than me and is leading us all.into a higher understanding of the meaning of life, the universe and everything!! And poor little unimaginative me, I already thought I had the answer long, long ago : 42. Guess I'll have to open my mind more now ., lol.
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds