Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Research papers on mental imagery

Research papers on mental imagery 1 year 10 months ago #2373

• Faustine
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 28
While doing some research about mental imagery and lack thereof, I came across this thorough bibliography that not only summarises a great deal of the academic debate but also links to some of the articles for free online:

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debra

Research papers on mental imagery 1 year 10 months ago #2375

• Mike_M
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 18
Thanks so much for that link, Faustine - what an excellent resource - I'm sure it'll keep me occupied for weeks! I particularly liked Bill Faw's 2009 paper, 'Conflicting Intuitions May be Based on Differing Abilities', because he himself is a non-imager, and has some very interesting thoughts about how psychological theories might be influenced by whether the theorist was an imager or not.

A sentence from his introduction strikes a chord with me:
This suggests that those who have normal perceptual and approximately-normal memorial abilities but claim not to be able to form mental images might have some sort of subliminal imaging ability that allows normal perception but not conscious supraliminal imaging.

I've said elsewhere on this forum that, even as a non-imager, I must have visual information stored in my mind in some form. Otherwise, how could I recognise a movie star, or a typeface – or even, for that matter, the letters of the alphabet? How could I even read?

Just a thought!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garth

Research papers on mental imagery 1 year 10 months ago #2376

• Faustine
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 28
A very important paper!

Since it's not listed as available online in the bibliography above, but keeps being referenced in more recent literature: Conflicting Intuitions May Be Based On Differing Abilities (a.k.a. Faw 2009)

Research papers on mental imagery 1 year 10 months ago #2377

• Mike_M
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 18
Faustine wrote:
A very important paper!

Since it's not listed as available online in the bibliography above, but keeps being referenced in more recent literature: Conflicting Intuitions May Be Based On Differing Abilities (a.k.a. Faw 2009)

Just a caution about the ResearchGate site - you can download the paper directly without registering, but I suggest you resist the temptation to register with the site until you've checked it out - for instance phylobotanist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/so-...th-researchgate.html . I've read that the site has a tendency to play fast and loose with your email address once they have it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmever, Faustine

Research papers on mental imagery 1 year 9 months ago #2581

• Debra
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
a very helpful resource with lots of articles available on-line... thank you
want and need to know MORE...

Research papers on mental imagery 1 year 6 months ago #3115

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
A great resource and the paper by Faw was an excellent read.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Research papers on mental imagery 1 year 5 months ago #3522

• lajos
  • New Aphantasiac
The author of the article on mental imagery in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (and thus also the author of the accompanying bibliography mentioned in the OP) used to have a website on imagery. That website also had a page on "non-imagers" (the term used for people with aphantasia before Zeman et al. coined the latter term). Fortunately, it is still available on archive.org:
web.archive.org/web/20150129071729/http:...ation.com/non-im.htm
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by lajos.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds