Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Should I get diagnosed?

Should I get diagnosed? 11 months 1 week ago #4569

• Kc99
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
Although I have all the signs of aphantasia and I am quite certain I have it. Should I go to my doctor and get diagnosed ?? As it doesn't prohibit my life in anyway it doesn't seem important to get tests done but at the same time I don't know if this is going to effect my memory in the long run ... So someone tell me is it best if I go and see a doctor??
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Should I get diagnosed? 11 months 1 week ago #4595

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
Kc99 wrote:
Although I have all the signs of aphantasia and I am quite certain I have it. Should I go to my doctor and get diagnosed ?? As it doesn't prohibit my life in anyway it doesn't seem important to get tests done but at the same time I don't know if this is going to effect my memory in the long run ... So someone tell me is it best if I go and see a doctor??

Really, the answer is within you. No one can make that decision for you. But be prepared for the average physician to give that WTF look when you bring it up. As educated as they may be, many physicians can't begin to comprehend aphantasia, prosopagnosia or other similar conditions. It has been my experience that when I ring this up with a physician other than a neurologist, I just get that "deer in the headlights" look.

Perhaps you can just mention it in passing to your physician when you get your next routine medical exam and see how they react.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kc99

Should I get diagnosed? 11 months 1 week ago #4597

• Kc99
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
That's a great idea actually , thank you !!

Should I get diagnosed? 11 months 5 days ago #4619

• daisy222
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I saw my doctor, and she knew nothing of the condition. Even if she had, there is nothing she can do about it except note it in my file. I then looked into the research being done on memory and cognition at the local university and found a professor who's met with me a few times and given some insight. Helps if the professional you talk to has an interest in cognitive studies to start with.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds