Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Spelling Bee

Spelling Bee 1 year 4 weeks ago #4299

• tkiymaz
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi,

This is a question for people with visual aphantasia.

Suppose you are in a Spelling Bee contest. When I try to spell a complex word I try to visually imagine the written word and "read" the word in my mind. Can you spell difficult words, or answer questions like "what is the 5th letter of the word aphantasia," without writing them down? And, if you can, how do you think you can do it?

PS: I have more questions like this that I'd like to ask. If you would be interested in being interviewed about issues like this:
aphant.asia/forum/greetings-and-introduc...bout-aphantasia#4298
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Spelling Bee 1 year 6 days ago #4422

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
I'm horrible at spelling. I'd have to write it down. Most of the time I can phonically spell them, but as you know the English language, not all words sound like they are spelled.

Spelling Bee 1 year 5 days ago #4436

• sian*
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm a good speller. When I spell words, I close my eyes and sound out the word phonically and the letters come a few at a time. I remember my parents making me spell out words for homework when I was a kid, and realising that despite the feeling of stepping off a cliff when spelling things aloud, the letters would come. It's still a little like stepping off a cliff when spelling aloud, but I'm much more confident the letters will just come to mind. Spelling is more automatic when I'm writing, though I sometimes type/write a homonym, which I never do when spelling aloud.

When learning foreign language words, I used to write them large in the air to memorise them - muscle memory/proprioception helps here.

Spelling Bee 1 year 4 days ago #4440

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 33
I'd never be in a spelling bee, I'm awful with spelling.

I have to do the "5th letter in..." to log into my online banking. I have to spell out the word while counting each letter on my fingers to get the right letter. :P
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings

Spelling Bee 11 months 4 weeks ago #4510

• Blackstage
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
I count on my fingers for maths, Velvet!

For spelling, I am pretty good, even in foreign languages. Sometimes I write the words in the air with my finger or with a pencil on paper. Typing is similar to sian* I would never spell a word like a typed a homonym by mistake.

I do not close my eyes to spell out loud. Rather, I must keep them open and sort of stare upwards at the ceiling and to the left, then spell. No sounding out much. Maybe I repeat the word inside my head and then spell it. I just tried to do this looking up towards the right. It felt terrible and strenuous and almost gave me a headache.

Spelling Bee 7 months 3 weeks ago #4981

• Willow.wood
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I was terrible at spelling in school; I was put in remedial spelling in grade 7. I can spell a lot better now while writing, but out loud is still awful. I just get lost in the letters, and if someone is spelling something to me or loud, forget it!!!! Unless I can write it down as they spell, or its like 3 letters, long I'm out.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds