Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do Aphantasia artists draw/sketch?

How do Aphantasia artists draw/sketch? 1 year 3 months ago #3484

• venky
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I have seen amazing sketches drawn by few of this forum's Aphantasians, please describe how the process of drawing works in your case.

Do you always require a copy of the subject before you while you draw it? For e.g. if are trying to draw a Lion, without imaging lion's face or without having a lion's picture beside you, how can you start drawing it? How do you know which strokes, at what angles etc lead you to complete a lion's face?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How do Aphantasia artists draw/sketch? 1 year 3 months ago #3497

• andy_scherben
  • New Aphantasiac
  • I love art, dance, music, psychology, and math!
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey, I love this question.

I am an artist. I love drawing and sketching. I love all mediums. I do not need anything in front of me to draw normally. I doodle during class to help me concentrate. I have ADHD symptoms so it helps me learn the material. I have been really involved in art since I was young. If someone wants me to draw something specific, sometimes I need source material to get started. It is more for inspiration than it is necessary though.

How do Aphantasia artists draw/sketch? 10 months 3 weeks ago #4661

• Torgimus
  • New Aphantasiac
I love to draw and have been trying to learn for about 20plus years.

For me I cannot draw from memory at all accurately. The only thing I can conjure is facts and a simple tactile feeling, about as accurate as closing your eyes and using your hands to feel something out. I use this feeling and facts to build a basic image. However I can critique very well. So after I throw down lines on paper, I fill it in. The more exposure and repitition I do of an image the easier it is.

If I stop or take a break I lose my progress quickly. I still draw well but not from memory.

My best results always come from having reference images. Usually the first thing I do is draw several pages of a character so I can reference back to it. With a reference pose, I can produce a much better picture. The initial references are always generated using trial and error. (Place lines down and then start adjusting till I like it, or modifying an existing character till I like it.)

How do Aphantasia artists draw/sketch? 7 months 3 weeks ago #4957

• Hanapoulpe
  • New Aphantasiac
I draw using geometry for the pose, I decompose the body into simple shape in 3d,as a friend told me, I draw them with the perspectives (as I can) then I add details based on anatomy knowledge, the more I add stuff the best I figure what's wrong, then I erase, redraw until I get something.
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds