Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can you navigate a room without sight?

Can you navigate a room without sight? 1 year 5 months ago #3431

• scscscsc
  • New Aphantasiac
This is all very interesting to me. I feel my “mind’s eye” isn’t as good as most. I only usually experience a flash, like glancing rather than staring, and I see vague outlines with little color. Sometimes it’s slightly more clear.

I’m amazed that people can think back a week or longer and picture what someone was wearing. If someone were to ask me to close my eyes and tell them what they’re wearing this moment I’d struggle. I have a poor memory, especially episodic memory, maybe it’s related.

I’m curious about a few things of those with no ability to visualize whatsoever. Sometimes I may turn off a light before I go to bed—or uhh…intentionally close my eyes and do this for fun as I leave a room because I’m easily entertained—and I'm able to navigate obstacles in a room from memory, even though I can’t see a thing. Can those with aphantasia do this?

I’m also curious if anyone has ever experienced any hallucinations from drugs like LSD? In my experience I barely visualized anything apart from warping walls/floors. I’m wondering if this relates at all to mind’s eye ability.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can you navigate a room without sight? 1 year 5 months ago #3447

• sian*
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi scscscsc, welcome to the forum!
Yep, I like wandering around the house with the lights off and know where everything is, but still bump into things because I don't always judge distance accurately. I call this 'spatial' sense.
I think I had weird colours and shapes from a cold medicine once - it kept me semi-awake the whole night when it was supposed to make you drowsy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds