Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Enjoying novels

Enjoying novels 1 year 4 months ago #39831

• LD
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I cant remeber a time in my childhood when I was able to sit and enjoy to read. I got bored of Harry Potter adter three chapters while my friends went mad for it, I f’ing loved the films when they came out!

In my teenage years I found reading novels a chore, being forced to when school required it, but I read New Scientist even when I could hardly understand it.

I now still barely read but what I do read is all factual or philosophical and even trying to start reading famous classics and even though I can admit that, literary speaking, the descriptive narratives are very poetic, I get no stimulation from them.

I know many people will be like that simply out of differing interests but I have always wondered if my situation was to do with aphantasia.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueMerleGirl

Enjoying novels 1 year 4 months ago #39845

• BlueMerleGirl
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I was going to post a question about this myself when I saw yours. I know exactly what you mean. I have always done well in school and been considered very smart and an intellectual. Most kids who fit that description love to read novels. I read part of the hobbit/lord of the rings series, but that’s pretty much all I read for fun, the rest was for school.

I sometimes say I hate reading but it isn’t true. I spend hours reading forum, news, educational, and philosophical stuff online.

When I read fiction I can not picture anything, so it’s really really boring. People don’t get it. Same thing happened to me with Harry Potter by the way, I didn’t even make it as far as you.

However I did enjoy listening to fiction audiobooks when I used to have a super long commute. Didn’t do it all the time but sometimes and I would often like listening to the same ones over again. I’m assuming I liked doing it because I had literally nothing else to do except listen to music, anything is less boring than driving alone. I would never sit an listen to one when I wasn’t driving. I also have adhd though.

What is your experience with audio books?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds