Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Daydreaming - can you do it?

Daydreaming - can you do it? 1 year 6 months ago #39609

• hannahcantsee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
One of the things that my roommate was really stuck on when I told her about my aphantasia was the fact that I don't daydream. She says she spends a significant part of her daily life daydreaming, and couldn't believe that I don't at all. She asked me what I do when I'm walking to and from places, drifting off to sleep, or sitting in car rides (because apparently those are situations where she frequently daydreams).

Do any of you daydream? I'd say I can follow trains of thoughts and get distracted from what's happening in the moment, but I definitely don't get so removed from reality that I don't hear what people say the first time or become somewhat oblivious to events occurring around me. When I walk around, I watch the sidewalk for cracks, admire architecture, and people watch. When I go to sleep I usually follow a train of thought until I drift off or just turn my thoughts off and focus on sleeping. I usually think about things during car rides (but I'm usually just bored and read a book or listen to a podcast to keep myself occupied).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Daydreaming - can you do it? 1 year 6 months ago #39614

• Jojo W
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I do daydream, it is more like a monologue, without pictures of course.

Daydreaming - can you do it? 1 year 6 months ago #39648

• DeathWhinny
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
It depends on how you define daydreaming. I have adopted a new nomenclature, reserving daydreaming for what most of my friends describe when they sort of self-direct mini movies in their heads. I describe what I do as simply 'getting lost in my thoughts' - outwardly it is much the same, lack of attention to immediate surroundings and delayed/no response to minor stimuli, but with no accompanying sensations - visual or otherwise. I am guessing this is what you are referring to when you say you follow trains of thought.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds