Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Color Matching?

Color Matching? 2 weeks 3 days ago #39473

• Sensorium
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 6
Because people can't directly experience someone else's mind's eye, it's difficult to convince people of the wide range of internal experiences people have. I had an idea earlier: I would open up an art program and try to mix up the exact color of something I knew I had a photo of, without looking at the reference photo. The idea being, when visualizing something your mind will make up all the details you don't remember on the spot - and change them when your attention drifts, often - but color should be stable. So I opened up Paint Shop Pro and followed this protocol:

(1) I would cast my mind back to cruise ships I've been on - I know I have photos of the interiors from vacations past, and they often have distinct and memorable color schemes. Also, the last time I looked at the photos would be a fair amount of time ago.
(2) After being satisfied with the color I made, I'd find the photos of the ship and match.

The results were pretty much spot on: the indigo/violet of the pillars/lights on the Carnival Sensation, the peaches/pinks in the Carnival Paradise, and so forth.

But after the fact I was considering possible problems with this setup. First, it's obvious that people can match faces, etc, and things they've seen before - the "hash table" method of recognizing things. So, would someone with aphantasia be able to reliably match colors? It seems possible. Second, I might just have a really good memory for colors, and other people might not, and so their mental colors would be off as the brain confabulates the missing information. Third, perhaps having such a sharp and vivid mental image with such clear colors is just a part of my own hyperphantasia and doesn't really translate to anything useful for non-hyperphantasiacs.

Thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Color Matching? 2 weeks 1 day ago #39478

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
Colors, as well as certain solid and plain geometric forms (cube, square, circle, sphere, etc), just lack the complexities, of say an automobile or a face. I am just guessing but I think colors might be easier to match, in spite of the fact that there are nearly endless possibilities or colors, shades and hues.

But, hey -- I truly don't know. I'm just guessing.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Color Matching? 1 week 4 days ago #39484

• ghost hip
  • New Aphantasiac
Hey, I have been browsing this forum and this is my first post. I do not have aphantasia but this topic caught my eye as I have studied photography.

When I studied color photography in college there was a study referenced in one of our books about remembering colors. they asked a group of people to imagine "Coca Cola Red" or the specific shade of red of a coca cola bottle. No one was exactly right. I don't think this invalidates your project, or if it even relates directly since so far it only involves your perception/memories/photos. But it could be worth considering how human perception and experience can twist one's memory to be different from reality. Even for someone who can imagine and picture things mentally, specifics of colors like the precise hue/brightness/saturation can be very fickle to remember.

I hope that was at the very least interesting if not helpful. I think no matter the outcome of your project you will learn something new about yourself and/or aphantasia.
*I am a non-amphantasiac. If anything I post is insensitive/ignorant please let me know.

Color Matching? 1 week 4 days ago #39485

• Sensorium
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 6
I tried matching Coca-Cola Red. There are multiple values of "Coca-Cola Red" I found, and the color I made in Painter is exceedingly close to most of them (off slightly in saturation, mainly - the remembered color being slightly less saturated). So this might just be a "Sensorium is weird" thing, rather than any useful test of visualization.

Consider the question answered and withdrawn.
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds