Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My path in learning about aphantasia and how my daughter also has it.

My path in learning about aphantasia and how my daughter also has it. 7 months 2 weeks ago #5176

• aksnafu
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
My life and how my childhood could have effected it and how I learn my daughter had it too. Some of the things I have discovered over the last 40 years has helped and what I have learn from this site has also helped. I original thought that my mother caused my memory problems. When I was born my mother did not spending time with me for the first few years of my life, The concept is that the beginning years is the most important to develop your brain connects and memories. However, after finding this site, and reading their posting I have discovered that my childhood development may not be the only cause of my memory problems.

I now understand that I was born with aphantasia, Now here is the kicker, after reading this site i sent my daughter to this site trying to explain to her why i lacked the emotional feeling toward her and she had a needed to feel love from her father. As she read my posting and others on the site, she found out that she also had aphantasia. I have always know she could not visualize but I never knew to what degree. She is like me a total aphantasia and the best way for me to explain her reaction to this is for me to post her text message back to me "Its nice to see other explain the same issue i have in my mind".

Now here is another important thing to know. Her Mother and I raised my daughter along with her sister and a brother from her mothers 1st marriage. Both sisters were raised the same, one has aphantasia and the other does not. From reading others posting at this site, i have seen other family members sharing the same condition aphantasia, in my care Me and my Daughter both share Total aphantasia. Maybe we were just both born with a defect in out DNA past down from a parent and it may be caused by childhood trama, I don't know yet and over the coming years with help from you, I may find more about what causes aphantasia and how to cope with this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My path in learning about aphantasia and how my daughter also has it. 7 months 2 weeks ago #5180

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
Unless you KNOW your mom caused you trauma as a child, dont hold her accountable for your lack of visual imagery. We (science) do not know the cause of aphantasia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marlow1

My path in learning about aphantasia and how my daughter also has it. 7 months 2 weeks ago #5186

• aksnafu
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
Moyer, thank you for response,I know a lot about my early childhood from family and friends. I have researched about early year development and how it effects both your learning abilities and memory. My primary problem in life is my memory, being able to visualize in my minds eye is a secondary problem.

What I meant to say is the lack of early development contributed to my memory problems, my Mother did not cause my lack of visual imagery, I was born with aphantasia, just as my daughter was born with it and I know she had no trauma in her early years.

So all my life I thought that the lack of early development caused all my learning disabilities and memory problems. It was not until I learned about aphantasia in the last 4 months that I discovered a better cause for my memory problems..

I haveTotal aphantasia, I only remember thoughts (I know i have done something), But I do not remember visual images, the sounds of words, the taste of food, the touch of pain, and the emotion of love.

I am sorry for for not explaining my posting better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tilma

My path in learning about aphantasia and how my daughter also has it. 7 months 2 weeks ago #5187

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
You explain it well enough. I always thought that the way I do not think in pictures was just a quirk and it never really bothered me.It has just been this last year and a half that I found that I might attribute my memory and emotional issues to it too and it clarified a lot about who I am and how I stand in life.

My path in learning about aphantasia and how my daughter also has it. 7 months 2 weeks ago #5188

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
You explain it well enough. I always thought that the way I do not think in pictures was just a quirk and it never really bothered me.It has just been this last year and a half that I found that I might attribute my memory and emotional issues to it too and it clarified a lot about who I am and how I stand in life. I have four children, none of whom seem to have aphantasia. Neither does my mother or grandfather. I have become estranged from my father who seemed like a normal functioning individual, but turned out to have emotional and psychological issues which I wouldn't be surprised to learn might be due to aphantasia.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds