Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Visualizing without a picture

Visualizing without a picture 5 months 2 weeks ago #5171

• aksnafu
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi, again still probing to understand aphantasia. I don't see pictures in my minds eye. Last night a women said I was visualizing because my eyes were looking up and moving back and forth. This is true in most of the cases when seeing if someone is visualizing(looking up) or thinking (looking down). However, not true in my case. when I visualize I sense the picture, I recall the item(picture) by position, example my living room, I just walked into the room, to my left is the closet, to the right is an end table, a couch, a lamp hanging in the corner, the fire place across the room and a tv on the other wall. So yes i am moving my eyes as if i was looking at a picture. Would this be called visualizing without a picture? in a way it is, but being a retired computer programmer i try to be precise and visualize means to see or form a mental image and i am not seeing a picture..

So what do you thing about the subject, am I visualizing or am I just thinking about where objects are located within my black picture. LOL

thanks for your help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Visualizing without a picture 5 months 2 weeks ago #5174

• Martha
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes, that's how I do it. I call it imagining where things are (because I know where things are). I can walk through the room and know where I am, but I don't see anything.

Visualizing without a picture 5 months 2 weeks ago #5193

• ren
  • New Aphantasiac
you are just thinking spatially without visuals. for a normal person, if they do the same, the visuals might come automatically, but for us this isn't the case. but we can still demonstrate and perform many tasks well. we might not consciously see anything, but perhaps our brain can still derive some useful information from it. that's how it seems to me.

Visualizing without a picture 5 months 2 weeks ago #5194

• bikersurfer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 27
aksnafu, I think I understand what you're doing/saying. My recollection of things, as I am aphantasic as well, is essentially by physical characteristics of the object, event, etc. I will remember the model and make of a car, for instance, and know that that vehicle is, e.g., an aerodynamically designed sedan, or sports car, or a little box, like my Mini Cooper. I have a recollection of an event that, as far as I can remember, happened when I was around 3 yrs old. But, I don't "see" the event in my minds eye; rather, I recall the night in vignettes: rain, wearing my father's boots, drinking gasoline in the garage. To this day I'm not 100% certain it happened, but I have an absolute memory of the event, though no pictures come into my head. But, the memories of the physical manifestations have never left me, and that was 64 years ago. I guess what that amounts to is that it is data, not visualization, that make up my memories.
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by bikersurfer. Reason: Additional notion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aksnafu

Visualizing without a picture 5 months 5 days ago #5225

• astauber
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
aksnafu,

I think I understand what you mean. I can also go through my house room to room in my mind and "know" where everything is. However, I have no image in my mind, just blackness. When I ask other people what they experience, they say they have an actual visual picture in their mind that they can "see" very clearly, with color and shape and everything. As they move around the house, they actually can see themselves moving through the room. I can't do that at all.

My theory is that for some reason the picture portion of our visual cortex is not activated like it does for other people. However, we store things we see in many different ways that don't involve pictures (kinda of like a digital camera) and we are able to retrieve all that other information so that's how we can know what were' trying to visualize.

Aaron
The following user(s) said Thank You: aksnafu
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds