Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Good memory for numbers?

Good memory for numbers? 6 months 1 week ago #5084

• repose
  • New Aphantasiac
I would say my autobiographical memory is abysmal. However, I have an affinity for memorizing numbers. I was a grocery cashier while in high school and could memorize entire bar codes and all the individual codes for vegetables with no issue. I can also recall Pi π up to 600 digits. Other people who memorize large strings of numbers usually do it with visual memory, so I'm interested in how I or other aphantasiacs do it differently.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Good memory for numbers? 6 months 1 week ago #5092

• Charlise
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
Wow - 600 numbers that's really impressive! I've been reflecting on this question too because I have a good memory for numbers and details. My partner made an interesting point: everyone takes in 7 + or - 2 bits of information per ?. Since aphantasiacs aren't processing visual images, we are processing different information that others. I think there's something to that.

For me I realized that how I remember visual imagery is the same way I remember data ie . across the street from Petro Canada; green building with 3 rectangle windows etc. Not any different from 76 units; office only open Tuesday from 9-1. So we're using the part of our brain to store concepts and data even for visuals. Perhaps it strengthens the ability to memorize data.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds