Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Please tell me about how you feel about History, Fiction and Hobbies.

Please tell me about how you feel about History, Fiction and Hobbies. 2 months 3 weeks ago #40159

• AphantsMate
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, I am not aphantasic, however, my wife is, she doesn't dream, can't conjure anything she hasn't seen in the past or change the past image to be even slightly different to how the image was recorded in her brain.

My wife has ZERO interest in History or Fiction, I assume this is because to enjoy history or fiction you have to be able to put yourself back in time/in another reality to appreciate it.

Also from a hobby point of view i.e. making NEW art/music requires another area of imagination that she cannot achieve.

Where my wife really excels is, doing things for others, she remembers everything, what people like, what they said they were doing etc. So she's always buying things for people or asking them about the smallest details of previous conversations. It's incredible how she manages to do this. Sometimes my mind's eye is more of a hindrance than a gift.

Please tell me about how you feel about History, Fiction and Hobbies.
Husband to an Aphantasic Wife.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: presbyopic

Please tell me about how you feel about History, Fiction and Hobbies. 2 months 2 days ago #40160

• presbyopic
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I really enjoy reading historical books even though I can't get an image of what is happening in my mind I don't have any issues understanding what I read. I equally like watching and reading non- fiction movies or books. I enjoy doing hobbies as much as the next person and am very crafty and can pick up things easily. I find it funny, my sister who has a vivid mind's eye isn't any good at crafts she couldn't even do the basics knitting stitches, although, she did try! However, she is a very good artist.

My husband who is not aphantasic can easily recall locations. Like service stations, we might have stopped off at once; but I can not! He is very descriptive like he is looking at some unseen image. He gets very frustrated when he is trying to get me to recall the place and thinks I have selective memory just to antagonise him! He will go into more in-depth details hoping I somehow remember being there!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds