Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Aphantasia and cognitive testing

Aphantasia and cognitive testing 1 year 4 months ago #39799

• valerie_90
  • New Aphantasiac
I beleive I have aphantasia .I cant picture anything in my mind and also have very little sense of direction.I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and just last week applied for a new job .I did a pre employment cognitive test which I found difficult especially the sequence questions both numerical and shapes .I wonder if the aphantasia has anything to do with this
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aphantasia and cognitive testing 1 year 1 month ago #40065

• Jay_
  • New Aphantasiac
I have aphantasia but have always performed well on cognitive tests, in fact when I was 11 years old I came in the top 0.5-1% of the country in a nationwide cognitive ability test, which on the back of I got invited to tea and cakes at No, 10 with Tony and Cherie Blair!

I believe I did so well on the test as I do not imagine I had to break it down step by step to get the answer, I'm sure it took me longer than the average person but by not jumping to the end or using my brain to see the image gave me less chance of getting it wrong. That's my theory anyway!

It would be interesting to hear other aphants views on cognitive ability...

Aphantasia and cognitive testing 11 months 3 weeks ago #40120

• Possel
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
valerie_90 wrote:
I beleive I have aphantasia .I cant picture anything in my mind and also have very little sense of direction.I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and just last week applied for a new job .I did a pre employment cognitive test which I found difficult especially the sequence questions both numerical and shapes .I wonder if the aphantasia has anything to do with this
I am pretty well the opposite - I'm sure I have aphantasia but I have an excellent sense of direction and do very well at cognitive tests

Is there anyone in the world who has done/is doing research on aphantasia? It would be really good to know if there are any proven links to intelligence, beliefs or any other personal trait, or whether it is totally random. Personally I think aphantasia is likely to affect one's learning and development in any place where imagination helps such as art, poetry or story writing. I just do not appreciate art at all really, but feel that I want to be able to paint pictures; I have never got on with poetry; I can write pretty well about experiences but have trouble in writing anything imaginative.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Possel. Reason: Spelling of aphantasia!
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds