Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dancers! Any choreographing tips?

Dancers! Any choreographing tips? 6 months 1 day ago #39243

Hi! I love to dance but I have a really difficult time choreographing. It might be related to my aphantasia, or maybe I would have been a bad choreographer regardless haha. Any tips? I like hip hop and contemporary dance. Did some ballet in high school, but no pointe.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dancers! Any choreographing tips? 6 months 1 day ago #39246

• jaolemes
  • New Aphantasiac
I'm no dancer, but I do practice Karate, and we have these "choreographed imaginary fights" called Kata (look it up on youtube)
And what I'd do to memorize the movements is the following:
A detailed description in my head of everything that I was doing with my body.
Than I'd repeat it tirelessly, muscle memory and all, all the while going trough the description I had created as I did the movements.
It worked.

Dancers! Any choreographing tips? 1 week 3 days ago #39641

• DeathWhinny
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
I trained as a classical dancer for 13 years but always struggled with choreography, like you I now suspect my aphantasia had something to do with it.
Interestingly, when I told my mum (also a trained dancer) about aphantasia she thought it explained a few things about my technique and development - another in depth conversation I haven't had time to have yet!

The only advise I can think to give are the techniques I tried that got a couple of compliments from my instructors:
Go out and try to write poetically about what you can physically see, one phrase that stuck with me was 'solidly, formless clouds' and try and make movements that match the feeling you get from words.
Try writing the story you want to tell and convert it into literal gestures ('over there', 'waved hello', 'ran up and hugged him') then look to exaggerate those gestures into familiar dance moves and join them.
Deliberately contrast movement with stillness, holding for a beat or 2 can really draw attention to a movement that has just happened or is just about to happen.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds