Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How is your memory?!

How is your memory?! 2 years 6 days ago #1529

I wonder if others strugle with the same memory "problems" that I.

I would say my memory is really poor! I have a hard time remembering what I did last week!

I can only recall small events from my childhood! And most of them because my parrents told the story often.

So, how is your memory?
Last Edit: 2 years 6 days ago by PeopleCallmeVictor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How is your memory?! 2 years 5 days ago #1542

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
My memory for day to day events and activities is horrendously poor. My memory for facts and data is very good, but it requires outside stimuli a lot of the time to bring it to the surface, so my recall is very situationally based. I am classified as an intuitive thinker, so most of the time I see stuff and then I just know the answer, the trick is making sure to backtrack to ensure that my intuitive response is factual and to identify any underlying bias.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenda, monica_45, elteepee

How is your memory?! 2 years 3 days ago #1646

• Nocturnal42
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
As far as directions, events, etc... goes, I might as well have no memory at all. But for pretty much any form of information (definitions, random facts, string of numbers) I have an amazing memory. I would say a large percentage of my iq is because the tester got bored of listening to me recite strings of numbers over and over again perfectly. Not being able to recall direction(at all) is probably because of aphantasia, otherwise I would have a perfect memory.

How is your memory?! 2 years 15 hours ago #1680

• AlyHillary
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Directions, facts, data, patterns I do great.
Day to day memories, childhood memories, when/where I learned something? Not so much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comix, Brenda

How is your memory?! 2 years 11 hours ago #1689

• vrewq
  • New Aphantasiac
I have always had a poor memory. Never could recall more than 4 phone numbers.

But my biggest problem is words.
Give me a word and I can easily tell you its meaning and even use it properly, but give me a meaning and nothing.
I have trouble doing simple children's crosswords even though I have a degree in astrophysics.

Explain/understand concepts - easy. Remember equations - forget it

How is your memory?! 1 year 11 months ago #1706

• angela_99
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
i think i'm like you the same intuition but not memory
meglio un gatto oggi....

How is your memory?! 1 year 3 months ago #3563

• kemeki
  • New Aphantasiac
AlyHillary wrote:
Directions, facts, data, patterns I do great.
Day to day memories, childhood memories, when/where I learned something? Not so much.

I relate to so many things mentioned on this thread, but this post fits me exactly.
I don't really have childhood memories... I just recall hearing the story. A memory of a memory.

It is weird though that when I remember reading something, I remember where on the page it was. It's in the top right corner... I don't see the page but recall my head position. Or something. /ramble
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenda

How is your memory?! 1 year 3 months ago #3565

• Brenda
  • New Aphantasiac
I am similar with childhood memories, if someone reminds me I can sometimes remember parts, but rarely the entire event.

If I am reading a book I can often remember where on the page something was written. I always did best studying by writing stuff down then remembering what I wrote by where it was on the page, but not really seeing what it was I wrote, mostly remembering the process of writing it down.

How is your memory?! 1 year 2 months ago #3912

• stu204
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
When it comes to data, facts, details, faces, events, my memory is great, when asked or probed about something I can recall all sorts of things with the exception of peoples names, or visual details, like what color shirt were people wearing. For an event like a holiday gathering, I can recall conversations and who said what, what types of foods we ate or drank, can recall events from early childhood with ease.

How is your memory?! 1 year 2 months ago #3933

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
short term memory is pretty bad. Remembering what I did through out any given day takes effort.
Long term memory, facts figures data, easy.
I can remember well though events as long as they are linked to another thing, such as climbing a tree when I was seven. I remember it well, because when I go back to that same tree even through it has grown I can recall the steps I took to climb it. Almost like that tree is holding the memory for me and it tells me about it when I see it again.
I can't remember if there is no trigger.

Due to this, If there is something I want to remember, I just link it to an event, place, person, or thing, then I can recall it at will almost. My cheat sheet at school was symbols of trees branches. The teacher never suspected it because it was just a paper with different trees I drew, all black white, but the shape of them was how I recalled what I needed to especially when it came down to new formulas. I can't redraw the trees sadly, but if I saw that same sturcutre again, the formuala would pop in my head. Strangely, It happened once :)

How is your memory?! 1 year 2 months ago #3934

• 16allycat16
  • New Aphantasiac
Memory is horrible. I remember as a kid though I used to remember these weird little facts but since I started uni about 5 years ago it rapidly went down. I can't remember what I did today let alone another. FB is a good reminder but I don't like posting all that much so thank god for 'only me' customisation.

My parents often go to me with the whole 'do you remember going to ______?' I pass it off with a 'Just another repressed memory, Mum.' It kinda hurts when I do that. I mean, I can't help it. But knowing that they tried to make my childhood memorable and I can't even do that makes me feel like a failure. Honestly, still haven't told my parents I can't picture things. I feel like they would judge and ask questions that honestly I don't know the answer to. (Really? How can you answer 'but why can't you see things?' I just can't, Dad....) Don't think they would believe me anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 303crown

How is your memory?! 1 year 2 months ago #3985

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
Pretty much what Kiingarian said. Except for that tree-thing which sounds weird and awesome at the same time. I actually never needed cheat sheets because I am immensely smart. Just kidding. But not completely. I wonder if there is a link between Aphantasia and intellect. Sir Francis Galton already noticed a higher prevalence among scientists. And from what I see in this forum, most of you are no dummies.

I also have very few childhood memories, if any. One memory I have is of a near drowning experience. I have a memory of being completely disoriented underwater and suddenly seeing two bath slippers plunging down amid an explosion of bubbles. I do not actually see that, obviously, but it is almost as if I can remember the memory of seeing it as a child. I expect that is as closest as I can get to what people dub the false memories of childhood. The feet of the lifeguard that saved me.

Apropos, every time I swim underwater the sound that you get then, this submerged woofiness of sound, brings back that memory of drowning. It may be the single 'vivid' childhood memory I have. I was three.

How is your memory?! 1 year 2 months ago #3988

• Kiingarian
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Like Always
  • Thank you received: 14
Tilma wrote:
Apropos, every time I swim underwater the sound that you get then, this submerged woofiness of sound, brings back that memory of drowning. It may be the single 'vivid' childhood memory I have. I was three.

Thank you, do you think that the drowning event, may have triggered it? I've just notice that some/most gain Aphantasia or the minds eye lessens after an traumatic event.

How is your memory?! 1 year 2 months ago #3991

• Tilma
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
I really don't know. I have absolutely no reason to assume that it did, but I suppose I can't rule it out. It does kind of sit there as my earliest and almost only memory of childhood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiingarian

How is your memory?! 1 year 2 months ago #3997

• sian*
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 12
I think my biographical memory is okay (well, everyone forgets some stuff, right?), and I'm good at remembering facts about things. I was wondering if the 'space' we might otherwise use for visual memories gets filled up with little facts or something? Or, instead of remembering visual things, we semi-consciously tag things with facts to remember them (thinking of times when people have said to me 'how do you remember that stuff?' - maybe I pay more attention to facts etc because I can't do visual. My memory of something is made up of different 'stuff' from theirs).
The following user(s) said Thank You: 杜明雪_85

How is your memory?! 1 year 1 month ago #4207

• ahird
  • New Aphantasiac
Very much the same for me on the childhood memories. When I was about 7 my dad took me to an open day at my old nursery, and apparently they all recognised me but I didn't know them! Of course, that's the story I've been told - I don't remember it... But remember being told the story!

Given the memory prevalence, is it fair to assume that event memory (as distinct from fact memory) is visually stored and so aphantasia-impacted?

How is your memory?! 1 year 1 month ago #4208

• stenides
  • New Aphantasiac
Like many here, I have an extremely poor episodic memory. I do not think we can discount the importance of this. I have struggled for years to remember events, what happened and when they happened. As for fine details...forget about it.

I can't recognize most people from my childhood and youth if I meet them in adulthood. I have a theory that visualizers bring up faces from their past, compare them to the face in front of them and recognize the person, even if the features have aged. I often don't recognize children I meet after they have grown into teens or adults.

I remember very little of shared experiences with people or the details of movies, plays or other visual experiences I have. It is better now that I have told my closest friends about my aphantasia. How important are shared memories and experiences to friendship or kinship?

I have hazy memories of my work life compared to others I work with.

All of this adds up to the fact that I am constantly covering for this deficiency and pretending to remember events and people that I do not. I'm pretty sure that this is the big problem with aphantasia which dwarfs all else.

www.wired.com/2016/04/susie-mckinnon-aut...aphical-memory-sdam/
The following user(s) said Thank You: textura, 303crown

How is your memory?! 1 year 1 month ago #4209

• ahird
  • New Aphantasiac
Good article (if a little long!). I don't think I'm quite as extreme as the person in it but not too far off. Interestingly the two people at opposite ends of the scale mirror my wife and I, so I have my own outlook on this.

Essentially I find the memory allows much more control, whereas she can become negatively focused at times; we travel a lot and I can recall holiday facts (the fact brain taking on names, places etc) and she can fill in the visual elements. Teamwork at the neurological level.

I don't see the memory as a problem because the lack of visual memory means I have more storage for facts, rather then having a compromise. This actually makes me very good at my job, which involves knowing a lot of things!

How is your memory?! 1 year 1 month ago #4212

• Velvet
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 33
My childhood memories are very lacking. I can't remember most of the people I went to school with, or the names of my teachers other than a couple which stood out. Sometimes I walk past people my age in town and they say hello to me and use my name, I smile and say hello back yet I have no idea who they are. I assume they were people I knew as a child, but I don't remember them.

I also have trouble remembering lists of things, like shopping lists. :P I recently got a mobile phone and write out a shopping list on that, which has proven extremely useful. Previously I'd either just try and remember what I need and usually forget the most important thing, or write a list on paper (which half the time I'd end up forgetting to take with me...).

I sometimes forget what day it is, though can remind myself by thinking of what I did the previous day.

My memory for daily events is decent. It's not brilliant, but I remember most things.

I'm good at remembering the spoken word. If you say something to me chances are I'll remember it (unless I'm not paying attention or it's something which doesn't interest me at all). I struggle more with remembering written things, so if it's something important I often read it out loud which helps me retain the information.

I have a very good sense of direction and can find my way around very well. I'm better finding my way around forests/wilderness as towns/cities are quite busy and distracting for me, however I learn my way around pretty quickly.
However trying to translate that knowledge for others I find very difficult, I'm awful at giving directions because I'm very bad at remembering the names of shops/roads/places.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E. Cummings
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Velvet.

How is your memory?! 1 year 1 month ago #4213

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 39
My memory is a mixed bag. When it's working, it's great. But when it's not working, it really sucks. Eight years ago my wife and I were passing through Utah, and we think I may have bumped my head, but the hospital could find no sign of trauma. For about a half hour I had no idea who my traveling companion might be, much less that I was married. It was pretty traumatic for my wife. It was just confusing for me.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

How is your memory?! 1 year 1 month ago #4214

• jody
  • New Aphantasiac
Memory - ahh - a weird one...

I remember faces and places, but not names, not even if we've just been introduced.

I have reinforced memories that people have told me about, but remember very little unless the event was traumatic.

Numbers, no problems.

If I write it down it goes in...if I don't - forget it (no pun intended) and yet can remember whole conversations verbatim, who sat where, what their expressions were, but I don't "see" them inside my head.

I thought I had a photographic memory given that I can see a map and then recall it - but I'm not closing my eyes and seeing it - I'm remembering the turns, roundabouts etc.

I'm left/right horizontal/vertical dyslexic and pretty much everything else where there are two options.
Shit - if only I'd known!

How is your memory?! 1 year 1 month ago #4269

• Cyberlass
  • New Aphantasiac
I wish my memory worked! I have problems remembering names, numbers, faces...events...you name it. I forget it! LOL I don't remember my childhood...some small vague bits but not much. I forgot I went to College...that was interesting...I was 20. I do not recognise most people unless they are close family. Unless there is a lot of interaction with the person I will not remember them. Sometimes people say hi...I know they know me...but I do not know them...but then a few days later I will suddenly remember a bit of them (as in where from...But not always)

I also cannot remember phone numbers. My parents have had the same number for years and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I know it still. I have had the same phone number for years as well. Afraid of changing it LOL I have to write down birthdays...and can never remember how old anyone is. I often have to think of what year it is...and what year I was born...then do some subtraction...LOL....just to remember my age. My mother says that I only remember things that are incredibly important to me (not necessarily important per se). Guess my age isn't important to me LOL. She also has aphantasia...but has a much different memory than me. She can recognise people from years ago.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a haze. I have no visual memory at all. I do see some images occasionally but it's like that burnt image on a computer screen. Vague and colourless on a black background. There is no movement just a static brief image. It's frustrating! I wish I could 'see' vividly! My husband is an incredibly visual thinker. He can imagine things changing so well he can do this with his eyes open. He can imagine a dog running through the kitchen...and actually see the dog. It was an eye opener when he realised I couldn't. LOL

I can describe things well enough. I can't see it...but I know how a tree is supposed to look and a garden for example...so I can describe what my perfect garden would look like...but never see it unless it was really in front of me. I really enjoy reading and always have! I have always been artistic. I can draw. But I have problems drawing free-hand. I can copy almost anything I'm looking at.

Me and my husband go for walks. I enjoy it every time. He finds it sort of dull. He thinks it's because it's like a new experience every time we go. I get to see it in person. And he just carries the memories with him so it's not 'new' to him. It kind of works for souvenirs. I need to have tangible reminders of things. Pictures or items that remind me of things. Though unless it's a picture I will often forget where I got something...unless it was a big event...like a trip. I can't hear or smell imaginatively either.

I just wish that I could experience 'visualizations' just once...I wonder what I would imagine!

How is your memory?! 1 year 4 weeks ago #4282

• comix
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
My childhood memories are all connected to smells, sounds and textures. My Mother's perfume, my Fathers scratchy beard, the smell of the barns, the sound of my Grandmother singing, stuff like that. Names are hard and faces are impossible. I have run into people that I went to high school with and I have no idea who they are. They greet me like old friends but I have no idea who they are. I recognize my close friends and coworkers but if I have not met you at least half a dozen times I won't recognize you unless you remind me. I was thinking about this topic the other day because we were remembering my Father who died more than 20 years ago. My daughter asked me if I could remember his face. I can't picture it of course but I do "know" what he looked like. I feel as though his face is hidden somewhere in my memory just out of view. I remember him the same way that I remember childhood events. The sound of his voice, the touch of his hand, the sound of his piano all these come together in my memory and there he is. LOL Does anyone else use this method to remember? I don't know anyone else that suffers from aphantasia so I have no one to ask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: textura

How is your memory?! 1 year 3 weeks ago #4294

• elteepee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
My worst thing is getting lost... I hate going new places as I can't remember directions, and once I'm there I can't reverse the steps to find my way back, then if it's somewhere I need to go repeatedly it takes ages to learn cues (like second turn after unusual tree).
Also I struggle on training courses... I'm intelligent but the tutor will say remember A... B.... C.... then ask the class to recite the sequence and it's gone,
I describe visual things similarly to comix its like there's something behind a wall... you know what it is but you can't see it, but Cyberlass might be right about the scarring on a computer screen... if I've seen a photo heaps of times I feel like there is an image forming but I just can't resolve it.
I feel my memories remain more acurate than visualisers though, if I try to recall something it's difficult but if someone tells me the same thing I'm trying to recall I can pick up on their inaccuracies.
The best part is In my career my style of memory recall is an advantage as I'm a maintenance electrician and I think conceptually and verbally, it feels like the right solutions just pop into my conscious. When I'm asked how I find a faults so quickly I often don't know, it's so simple it's hard to explain. I think visualisers get hung up on what they remember from the last time a similar fault happened but my mind starts from scratch.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by elteepee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comix, textura

How is your memory?! 1 year 3 weeks ago #4295

• elteepee
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
I can't remember what I was intending to comment ;)
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by elteepee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aphantasia, textura
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds