Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: dissociative disorders and aphantasia

dissociative disorders and aphantasia 3 years 9 months ago #1494

• Ant
  • New Aphantasiac
Hi all,

I have depersonalisation disorder. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder. I've seen mention of PTSD and trauma in a few places, and am wondering if they tend to overlap. Visualisation is a big part of trauma-prevention strategies, so it seems likely there'd be a connection. Anyone else got dissociative tendencies?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

dissociative disorders and aphantasia 3 years 9 months ago #1498

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 98
My official diagnosis as they stand are complex PTSD and autism spectrum disorder. Included in that mess is a mild dissociative tendency, in my case I am actually fascinated by people, so interesting people in my environment, not a problem. If I am out and about or in a crowd, etc...well I prefer to be inside my own head, which puts me at odds with my hyper-vigilance and need to assess threats in my environment, the end result of which is exhaustion as I am at war with my very natural dissociative tendencies and a need to remain constantly aware of the environment. With the spectrum diagnosis I have begun to finally improve on the hyper-vigilance, I am actively applying probability to situations and reminding myself that I over-inflate probability in regards to threats. It made sense as a child I developed these tendencies with extreme amounts of bullying, and I do mean extreme, more than a few events had very real potential fatal outcomes. I am not sure if aphantasia is a correlate here or not though, in some ways being aphantasiac may just make some of us less able to step into, understand, and accept someone else's subjective understanding of objective reality, and that difference in societal group think along with other factors may just increase the probability that we will experience disconnection and bullying, but this is little more than idle speculation.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds