Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Defining Aphantasia

Defining Aphantasia 3 years 9 months ago #1365

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I've only read a small section of this forum so far (I swear, not enough time in the day - or night!) and there's so many good questions here.
Does anyone else experience -
Does anyone else think like -
Does anyone else have difficulty with -

So many questions, so few answers, as we all struggle with defining the boundaries of this condition. Truth is, WE are creating those boundaries, and over the next few years, we will answer these questions. But something we need to be very careful of is to realize when a thing some of us are experiencing is actually a whole different condition. For example, we don't want to lump dyslexia characteristics in with Aphantasia, when it really is Dyslexia. Same with Dyscalcula, Autism, Aspergers, other visual processing disorders which have already been categorized differently, etc.

Now I'm not saying that Aphantasia should have no overlap, I'm sure some things will overlap. But we do need to be a bit careful in our definition, so people looking for info in the future don't think they have Aphantasia when they really have Dyslexia, or Aspergers. We don't want people to misdiagnose themselves due to our mistakes in not carefully categorizing things.

I should mention, that I've had some experience in this "figuring out what X means" thing. Over the few years, X was defined and categorized as people realized that there were 4 or so main variants of the thing we were all experiencing. Nothing really overlapped with any other condition, or if they did, it was minor. We too may find that there are a number of variants of Aphantasia, but we just don't wanna say "well I have Aphantasia A/B/C" when really, they have a form of Dyscalcula/Aspergers/some recognized visual processing disorder.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to add your own opinion here on this.
I've searched for years for a name for what I thought was different about me. 33 years of not having a memory like my mother - and now I know why.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Defining Aphantasia 3 years 9 months ago #1368

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
this is why i think my dyslexia diagnosis is wrong as the things i have now sound more like anasphasia . ut it was not a word back then and a lot of dyslexia diagnosticians seem to be blinkered to other conditions anyway or have been in my experiance

Defining Aphantasia 3 years 9 months ago #1391

• Linden
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
Completely agree Cacille but I think this is the view shared by most of us. It's my impression that a lot of posts are trying to establish if a trait is shared by others. Especially see 'crowd research' section in the forum.
e.g. I fall asleep easily and wondered if this due to no visualising but the poll shows that many of us take ages.
Regards,
Linden

Defining Aphantasia 3 years 9 months ago #1392

• Linden
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 9
....also Cacille see this post on the fb group page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/204603509580186/permalink/1026747017365827/
Linden

Defining Aphantasia 3 years 9 months ago #1406

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 98
With increasing use of fMRI we may also find a lot of these conditions that have been observed through symptoms we can see clinically, may also turn out to have related or even the same underlying causation. So it is possible as well to see some of these already recognized and diagnosed conditions begin to be culled as we further understand how the brain itself works and are able to observe it.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds