Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you?

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1344

• julia_11
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 13
Remembering back to a really frustrating practical at Vet School. Horse passports. While I am sure that very few people will have thought about this particular scenario I would be interested in how people get on with similar situations. I was one of the group that ended up with the piebald horse (I think they are called pinto horses in America). We had to accurate draw every single marking on the damn thing, changes of colour, and also whorls and other changes of hair direction so that someone else can identify a particular horse based on the official drawing onto an outline of a horse on a passport. I have no artistic talent anyway. So it seemed to take me forever and in the end I just gave up and made it up a bit. I knew that I would never have to officially do a horse passport anyway as I knew I would never get an equine job.
So how does anyone draw accurately from something I front of them? I don't mean do a really nice drawing based on something in front of them, but actually get it accurate? I was looking up and down so often that it got a bit silly. And do visualisers actually find it easier?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1346

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 98
Very poorly overall. With enough effort, I might be able to do a still life with a decent degree of accuracy, if you give me something that is moving, it will never be exact. If I had to take a picture of something and blow it up, I would use a graph and tracing paper to enlarge each segment and then it would still not be identical, I should take a picture of my handwriting sometime and share it...it is a horrendous disaster. I will stick to figurative, abstract, and surreal methinks haha.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1350

• angela_99
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 2
i too have great difficulty to make a portrait
i've attended a lot of courses but when i'm not seeng i'have not the image so I 'mnot accurate but this sometimes helps me to be more creative
meglio un gatto oggi....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathan Buzby

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1353

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
i can draw and colour one type of flower quite well and because its the only thing i can do i have got quite practiced at it everything ele i draw oi wore than a 5 years olds picture trouble is i love to draw and paint and i am really rubbish.

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1355

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 98
Phoenix, one thing worth trying, and it may or may not fit, is if you love drawing, and I do too, but got so frustrated I stopped for many years because I could not do realism. I found I began to enjoy it again, when I stopped trying to replicate the item and instead just shut off my inner voice and let the image form before me, sure it looks bizarre, but it is also fascinating. I recommend trying it, and there is some interesting science behind shutting off the frontal lobe, it is commonly found to happen amongst musicians as well, when they get lost in the music, the conscious mind goes dormant after a fashion and they just allow it to flow...could be fun to try!
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1358

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
will give it a go will take a lot of effort not to talk to myelf about a the picture
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathan Buzby

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1394

• wendi_80
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
When I was teenager and working in Oxford I used to do drawings for members of staff from photos for them to put on the wall. It could be anything. One particular lady I did a drawing of her granddaughter she told me that it was too much like the photograph so didn't want it :( These days I prefer mixed media and abstract art. If I see it I can draw it. :)

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1431

• Eyeball
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
For me it's like Wendi described. I can copy what I see and it is quite ok. I was getting good grades at art classes when I was a kid. I also was considering going to art school at that time until computers devoured me whole. It would be somewhat interesting if I had chosen that career.

I can draw from memory, but what I draw is quite generic. I think I can observe the world, encode what I see somehow using general rules and then draw it later, but I constantly make errors and correct them. This is the very first visualisation, there is no actual image in my head before I start to draw. And I only can tell if it conforms to the rules I know, not that it is exactly like scene I had seen before.

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1468

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
When I do draw, which is like never but back when I tried it out in art class, here's how I did it.

Line. By. Line.

I looked at a small part of the picture - a line, and then copied that line onto the paper. Looked back at the image, back at the paper, added a line. Looked at the color, copied the color. Or changed it if I wanted to. I didn't make my own, but I could copy.
I've searched for years for a name for what I thought was different about me. 33 years of not having a memory like my mother - and now I know why.

How do you accurately draw something that is in front of you? 3 years 9 months ago #1532

• scotty
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 28
I've not drawn something in front of me (like a still life) in years but when I did I'd break an image down into basic shapes and build it from there.
Once I had the composition then I'd work on the detail.

I use the same basic approach for other illustrations.
Obviously I don't imagine them. I kind of build a brief or list in my mind of what it should be.
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds