Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Learning to visualise

Learning to visualise 2 years 2 weeks ago #915

• evk
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 22
Is it possible to "cure" aphantasia?

I've been looking att different methods to learn how to visualize. Most of them are useles for us
There are the two basic steps to improve ours visualization skills. The first is to relax, second step is to visualize

However there are techniquies based on after images that could possibly be usefull. I've tried it a few times myself without success, but haven't put any real effort into it.

unchainmybrain.com/learn-to-visualize/
- We are all aphantastic!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Learning to visualise 2 years 2 weeks ago #918

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 42
i have tried so many techniques brought so many books on how to do it that i won't try anymore as it used to depress me.

Learning to visualise 2 years 2 weeks ago #922

• Laura
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 27
I'm not even going to try. I believe our brains are wired a certain way and there's not much you can do to change that. I have already accepted that I will always be this way and I'm ok with that. I wish I could visualize but it's not going to happen and if I can't accept that it will just eat at me. My most important goal now is the build awareness so we can get some answers and let others know they are not alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sekhmet

Learning to visualise 2 years 2 weeks ago #929

• Chris
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 11
"Is it possible to "cure" aphantasia?" come on now this is not a disease that needs curing. Our brains just work differently, I don't want to be cured"
The following user(s) said Thank You: mscarmella

Learning to visualise 2 years 2 weeks ago #932

• evk
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 22
I agree, it's not a disease, that's why I put double quotes around cure.

I have no great need to open my minds eye. I'm a bit curious about how it feels, but that's all. (I still find it difficult to accept that most people actually hear voices in their heads).

However, I"m very much interested in what ahpantasi is, how it works, what's the cause. etc. So if any one has made the transition in either direction. Especially if physical trauma to the brain wasn't the cause. It would be very interesting to hear about it.
- We are all aphantastic!

Learning to visualise 2 years 2 weeks ago #937

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
Man this argument against needing to find a cure feels familiar...now what else do I have that the world is obsessed with curing me of...oh yeah being on the Autism spectrum. Granted, there is a point in certain severe forms where research and science can greatly increase quality of life (yeah I know that is subjective and I have been attacked by the more hardcore activists for that one) and the ability for self-determination. But most of those traits are just fine once folks understand them, when we de-mystify it, stop judging it. Sure I had outbursts, funny thing about that, this world is constantly forcing us into high sensory environments, the world is way more stimulating that it was a hundred years ago, just give us room to recover and catch our cognitive breath.

This all goes back to Neurodiversity though, and how our differences are what help generate different perspectives and allow us to progress as a species, if everyone fell within the median range and same cognitive make up, we would be a very stagnant world indeed and I find it dubious at best that we would have accomplished all we have as a species, we would still be hanging out on the savannah scavenging tubers and making lithics I would guess.

I figure from time to time I will play around with visualizing when it suits me, but that is all it will be playing around with an idea that I find interesting or amusing, tis a good way to learn without any pressure to perform or get hung up on some set outcome.
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Learning to visualise 2 years 2 weeks ago #1362

• parikb
  • New Aphantasiac
monkeymaiden wrote:
I have seen images behind my eyes when I was on a hallucanogenic.
I'm desperate to try this one day. I just want to be assured that it's possible for me to visualize under SOME condition. :(

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1865

• jmever
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
If done in a proper setting, trying a hallucinogenic is not something to fear. There are people out there who have been trained as coaches and make themselves available to those seeking the experience for therapeutic reasons. Try looking for a therapist trained in Transpersonal Psychology for references.

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1879

• twf
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 1
I would suggest listening to Ira Progoff's meditation series they exist in CD format where he reads them and they are heavily based on visualization. I have aphantasia and listened to them without successfully visualizing but I was told that it could help. They didn't work for me (maybe I have to try more) but they might work for others. "the white robed monk" "the well and the cathedral" and "the star/cross" are the titles of the process meditation series. I have them on CD but you may be able to find them on youtube or somewhere online for free. They are available in print but I think for the purposes of practicing visualization audio works best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LES360

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1888

• jmever
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 5
According to all the relevant material I have been able to read, visualization cannot be taught to a completely vision-less Aphantasiac. I can only assume that if an Aphantasiac with partial visualization skills desires to improve his/her visualization, these and other techniques MAY be somewhat benificial. It would be interesting to hear from someone(s) in that particular situation!

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1894

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
My partner leads guided meditation, he has tried different ways of doing it with me but none works. I have also been trying for years to visu,use I have been on courses brought books read stuff on the web spoken to people and never been able to. Now I have stopped trying to. Do I want a head full of images anyway. Just think of all that noise
The following user(s) said Thank You: toblave

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1912

• serenitymoon
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
I would love to cure aphantasia. Yes I want to be able to visualize because I'm into many spiritual activities like mediation, hypnosis, energy work, etc that you need to visualize for. But more than that, it's like I'm an amnesiac since I can't remember anything from my past. That last one is something I can't get over. As far as the afterimage technique, I have tried that in the past accidentally and it has worked to a degree. After the image disappears, I can recreate it for a minute on my own though I don't know how. I've never tried it purposely though. Maybe I'll go through that technique daily for a month and see if it gets easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: monica_45, Jojo W

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1943

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
those are the reasons i have wanted to but after years of trying its too depresign when i fail al the time so now i have stopped and tryign to find alternative ways
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jojo W

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1947

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
If there is a way to go from an Aph to a non-Aph I probably wouldn't do it. I have seen people who have been blind or deaf since childhood and then regaining that sense. It was overwhelming and emotional but after some time they settle into it. That is an external sense, minds eye is an internal sense. A person regaining sight or hearing can always close their eyes or cover their ears for a break. We wouldn't have that luxury. Seems very scary to me.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by DizzyP.

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1949

• knowyourselves
  • New Aphantasiac
I recently read something about stimulating certain brain areas. Would love to experiment with that, quite expensive machinery is involved though.

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1950

• serenitymoon
  • New Aphantasiac
DizzyP: I doubt we would go from 0 to 100. Only highly visual people cannot shut the images off like we may not be able to stop our internal chatter. If we did become visualizers, we would probably only be able to visualize at will or see the occasional blip.

Knowyourselves: I've been thinking about brain stimulation. I'm just about to finish acupuncture school. Some patients can see colors when I put needles in. These are of course people who can already visualize but it still stimulates a visual that they weren't trying for. I was thinking of putting needles into my scalp and giving some electrical stimulation. Acupuncture can help people gain movement after paralysis so why not visual paralysis.

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1951

• DizzyP
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
The acupuncture deal sounds very interesting. Don't hurt yourself :blink:. Please let us know of any findings.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by DizzyP.

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #1957

• knowyourselves
  • New Aphantasiac
sounds interesting!

was originally talking about a tdcs machine (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation), someone who has some spare money (100/200+? $/€) should buy 1 and experiment!
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by knowyourselves.

Learning to visualise 1 year 10 months ago #2012

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 96
I have started mucking around with things, to see what happens. It is fascinating really, I am actually quite content as an aphantasiac, but my curiosity about neuroplasticity and the human brain...well I have decided to try a bit and see what happens, purely based on curiosity and not any actual need to "imrpove" myself in an area I do not consider deficient. Experimenting on myself, hrmm yep that is sadly a perceivable trend in my life, damn curiosity will be the end of me someday =)

So far though, I have only managed to improve the duration and details of retinal after images, not actual visualization at all, on the plus side I already found a practical application in my art work, it is a great way (via retinal fatigue) to easily figure out contrasting colors!
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Learning to visualise 1 year 9 months ago #2156

• Will.jHarris
  • New Aphantasiac
  • 17, Will.
I've tried a number of different techniques on how to 'Visualize' and sadly non have ever been successful, as someone else said it got to the point where it saddened me..
I really hope one day, there may be a cause as to why we can not do what most can :)
(An actual reason for this, instead of ideas and 'potential' causes)

Interesting how potentially our brains are different :P
W.Harris
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Will.jHarris.

Learning to visualise 1 year 9 months ago #2186

• tothefnmax
  • New Aphantasiac
I have Aphantasia... And when I'm on psychedelics, without trying, I see and experience all kind of colors and visualization with my eyes closed. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pedrinho

Learning to visualise 1 year 9 months ago #2187

• tothefnmax
  • New Aphantasiac
sounds like you had a "bad trip."

Learning to visualise 1 year 7 months ago #2483

• ken_007
  • New Aphantasiac
Back in my younger days I imbibed in these substances quite often, and only had one instance of actually seeing things with my eyes closed, but this involved a particularly strong dosage. It was random images and was not pleasant.

Interestingly though, a few times when I would awaken it wouldn't be fully and I would slip in and out of dreams, if that counts.

I wasn't aware that this "condition" has a name, it's not an affliction though, just mental talent expressed differently I would say. I feel blessed with a very sharp mind and feel that without the ability to visualize we compensate to enhance our reasoning abilities. It's also more enjoyable to see things in live format only so to speak I would presume, I thoroughly enjoy visual perception and probably more so than if I could just conjure up what I wanted and dilute the real experience perhaps.

If someone is truly incapable of visualizing, I don't think practice is going to help much, no more than a blind man exerting effort trying to see would.

I'm just dropping by here and don't find this topic interesting enough to really spend much time here but it is nice to see a support site for folks like us to be able to interact and share. All the best!

Learning to visualise 1 year 6 months ago #2628

• Robert1313
  • New Aphantasiac
I have never been able to see mental images I can only like think about them but don't really see anything. Except one time this morning I was lying down in bed awake after shutting off my alarm and I was lying down on my right side and kinda tilted my head into the pillow and all of the sudden they were there and really vivid and clear I was like what cus normally I just see black or darkness with really faint, blurry, and dark almost black and white images that don't last but a second maybe. But for once I could see what I was thinking about really clearly with full color. It was crazy I was really tired so I don't actually remember what I saw at first but I do remember something was red and then I started to picture like blue circle, yellow square, ect. Then I started to turn my head back to the left and lost it all going back to back darkness with the faintest blurry hardly there stuff I've always had so I tilted my head back to the right toward the position it was in before and after a little bit of repositioning I got it back. It was like I got to see through my minds eye for once and at this point I was still astonished because I've never been able to close my eyes, think about something, and actually see anything close to a clear and vivid image. Anyway I just visualized like 500 different things in quick succession mostly people doing stuff like walking or moving in different ways and holding different things like a hammer and stuff thinking this is amazing why does it go away with my head slightly turned to the left from here and seemed to become more clear and vivid the farther pushed my head to the right into my pillow I want this all the time. Anyway after awhile I went back to sleep for like 30min or so and when I woke back up I tried to visualize anything again and tried laying back on my right side and tilting my head but I couldn't get it and now all I've been doing today has been trying to see any mental image and can't.

Learning to visualise 1 year 6 months ago #2629

• moyer
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 30
Robert, that is pretty awesome to hear!
I sometimes take some time and assume a sort of meditation like mental posture and try to bring mental imagery forth. it rarely happens, and the times I THINK I have had success were very minimal. During the process of falling asleep, I have had more success with images that were crystal clear and lifelike, but they are random, and not generated at will. I have had extreme open and closed eye hallucinations on psilocybin. Soon I plan to experiment with some lower dose guided trips centered around visualization and mental imagery. I hope to maybe "feel it click" while tripping and possibly retain that ability after the fact. I will report back, and I look forward to hearing more from you about your practice!
keep conversation flowing and lets keep this board alive!

-Joel
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds