Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Personality

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #774

• firemonkey
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 7
I am rather introverted but I get the impression quite a few people here are quite extrovert and larger than life. I wonder whether any research has been done on this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #795

• phoenixmoon
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 45
I am the introverted type as well.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #833

monkeymaiden wrote:
I am both introverted and extroverted.

How can you be both!?

Or let me ask in this way instead. What's that like! And how does it work?

Every side have pros and cons so if you have both - sound awesome:)

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #834

I'm introverted!

I analyze and feel my surroundings before I anything. I don't like this trade always because people misunderstand me with most first impressions! And maybe even looks boring :)

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #863

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 98
Victor, under one of the polls (on intovert vs extravert) I actually wrote a blurb you might be interested in checking out!
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1087

• bikersurfer
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 28
I do not think that it's unusual for us to adapt to different situations with different personality characteristics; i.e., extrovert when it serves our needs or purposes, introvert when we perhaps feel intimidated, in observation mode, or just basically non-assertive.

When l was working in aerospace, in HR for many years, we administered, and participated in many types of personality revealing exercises. At any given time l would display either intro or extro depending on how l was feeling that day or that week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: monkeymaiden

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1279

• wendi_80
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 3
As a child I was shy and introverted, now that I am approaching the end of my 50's I am more confident in who I am and feel I am a role model for people. I was widowed suddenly in 2012 and am proud of myself how I have coped and learned to be single again after 34 years of marriage.
I am a spiritual person and believe in spirit and angels, have seen both and feel guided by them. I am a caring person. My son Matthew has Lennox Gastaut syndrome, the worst epilepsy a person can have I care for him 24/7. He is my teacher, my inspiration an the reason I helped start a charity for special needs children and adults in 2002.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathan Buzby

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1293

• ussfa344
  • Junior Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 43
I am normally quite introverted -- but I don't want to be. Around most folks I keep to myself. But as soon as someone takes the initiative, I do open up about anything.
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1425

• WxMom2
  • New Aphantasiac
I fall in the introverted side of the spectrum. While I will go out into crowds, enjoy a parties, it is the recharging I need to do that defines the introvert in me. The crowds don't energize me, they tire me out. I need quiet, solitude to unravel and recharge afterwards.
Separately, I also tend to be a touch shy, mostly in new situations. Shyness actually is not part of being an introvert, there are shy extroverts as well.
"If you want to see the sunshine, you have to weather the storm."
~ Frank Lane

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1460

ussfa344 wrote:
I am normally quite introverted -- but I don't want to be. Around most folks I keep to myself. But as soon as someone takes the initiative, I do open up about anything.

I can relate!

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1461

WxMom2 wrote:
I fall in the introverted side of the spectrum. While I will go out into crowds, enjoy a parties, it is the recharging I need to do that defines the introvert in me. The crowds don't energize me, they tire me out. I need quiet, solitude to unravel and recharge afterwards.
Separately, I also tend to be a touch shy, mostly in new situations. Shyness actually is not part of being an introvert, there are shy extroverts as well.

looked at being hyper sensitive??

Or if you believe that, maybe even an empath

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1464

• WxMom2
  • New Aphantasiac
Nope, no one I know would call me hyper-sensitive. Friends and family would say empathy is a trait I do have.

I've been reading on introversion, Susan Cain's website is a great resource. Introversion is much more defined as what energizes people. Extroverts are energized by being out and about, introverts need some quiet time to recharge. Doesn't mean they won't enjoy a crowded concert or party, they just need some space afterwards. There is a spectrum like so many traits, so what is typical for one won't be for another.
"If you want to see the sunshine, you have to weather the storm."
~ Frank Lane

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1469

• Cacille
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 8
I think people here may not know this term, but there IS one that describes people who are both introverted and extroverted, depending on the needs of the time or just natural being. I am also one!

The word is "Ambivert", also known as the "Introverted Extrovert" but I like the term Ambivert more. Ambiverts do like to go out and socialize from time to time, maybe once a week or twice, maybe less, but then we NEED to just get the hell away from people, veg out on the computer, watching movies, music, etc - and deal with Nobody for a day, two days, three, etc. While Extroverts do need to be alone too, in general they can deal with people a lot of the time. Introverts can be quite happy dealing with people rarely, once or twice a month is good with them. So us Ambiverts are right in the middle.
I've searched for years for a name for what I thought was different about me. 33 years of not having a memory like my mother - and now I know why.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1501

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
So many forum posts, I frequently find myself re-typing things I have already visited.

I have spent a great deal of time studying introversion vs extraversion. Likewise, the question of ambiversion comes up as well, for example the folks behind the MBTI personality typology currently do not support the idea of ambiversion, and I tend to view ambiversion as actually a form of introversion that has situational exceptions. Introversion as I have come to study and understand it is mostly data intake vs data processing speed in the brain, now the fatigue experienced is not based strictly on calories, so another mechanism is at work here. If, an environment is familiar (thus going to the same bar instead of always bar hopping) or one that creates an extreme interest (I want to talk to so and so, or really see this exhibit) the brain is able to hyperfocus on those tasks, it dis-associates a bit more from the surroundings, and thus reduces the amount of data intake vs data processing.

There are two interesting bits of new science that may connect to the fatigue that comes about as well, one is the brains tendency to motivate itself unconsciously, so we perceive things of pleasure and threats to be closer than they are, this motivates us to move. In this case, fatigue is potentially a result of the brain trying to force the introvert to seek "rest" to catch up on the processing backlog.

Another thing recently documented in studies of Chronic fatigue syndrome, is that the areas of the brain processing this data become actually inflamed as well. As I understand it, this seems very reasonable as the blood flow and electrical currents needed to process the excessive amounts of data could result in inflammation as a result. Makes one wonder if taking an anti-inflammatory before going to a social event would have an impact on the perception of fatigue.

These are also testable hypothesis, sadly I lack the resources and credentials to pursue these clinically (though I did just finish my ethical training and certification for human research subjects that do not require medical treatment, so psych testing, etc)
Tone Disclaimer: If you read something I write and feel I am trolling, please read it again and imagine instead you are talking to a teacher or professor. I do not write from a place of self-superiority or ego, I favor dialectical conversations that seek to find underlying causation and truth.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1503

• Eyeball
  • New Aphantasiac
  • Thank you received: 4
Do MBTI test. It seems legit.

I am INTJ according to it.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1505

• wendi_80
  • New Aphantasiac
I agree with you Nathan sometimes I think so much it hurts my brain. My son Matthew has seizures every second of the day and I can tell which part of his brain is affecting which part of his body at one time. He is waiting to have an operation to install a Vagal Nerve stimulator to try to cut down the amount of seizures he has. It is operated by magnets that send signals to the brain via a box like a pacemaker to a copper wire that gets wrapped round the vagal nerve in the neck. Matthew's carers will be able to pass a magnetic wand over the device which will be implanted in his left front shoulder to preempt seizure activity and so hopefully give him a better quality of life. The human brain is more than doctors and scientists can fathom out at this time but hopefully in the future conditions like Aphantasia, dyslexia, dyspraxia will be able to be mapped so that different ways of learning and teaching can be included in schools.

Personality 3 years 9 months ago #1545

• Nathan Buzby
  • Senior Aphantasiac
Eyeball :
I am INTJ according to it.

This could explain a bit from the eye contact side of things mayhaps, I am an INTP my wife is an INTJ, she handles all the pragmatic and stern stuff, I see to many darn possibilities, human systems, etc. I can't look at anyone and just make an observationally based conclusion, I have to ponder, question, try to get at the underlying context. Fun to think about! I do enjoy speculating on these things, but that "P" makes me very unwilling to assert I am correct at pretty much anytime :P
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds